Advises when renting your property
If you decide to rent a property, there are several key points to be considered to avoid potential headaches to your future tenant.
We recommed the following:
- Make an inventory of you belongings in the property: Include everything that can be used by your tenant, such as, furniture, household appliances and any other object that stays in the property. It is recommended to take pictures to show the overall state of the objects and attach these pictures and inventory to the leasing contract.
- Guarantee payment of basic services: An agreement must be reached between the landlord and the tenant to establish whether these payments will be included or not in the cost of the rent.
- Establish non-allowed practices: Examples of these prohibitions would be: subletting the property, living with pets, not renting the property to students, people with children, etc. this will depend on the profile you want you tenant to have.
- Establish payment of security deposit: This corresponds to an amount equivalent to one or two month’s rent (depending on the duration of the contract) that the tenant must pay to the landlord and would be used in case of default in the payment of any month’s rent or for damages to the property that the tenant has not paid by the end of the contract.
- Guarantee payment: When the tenant does not have sufficient documentation to guarantee the payment of the rent, it is necessary to have the figure of a guarantor to guarantee such payment.
- Maintain contact with the tenant: it is always advisable to maintain good communication with the tenant during the term of the lease, in this way you can notify about any news or changes related to the property or solve any problems that may arise. Email is a very useful tool for this purpose.